With some of the media trying to disregard the Conservative strategy of showing Michael Ignatieff's time away from Canada, I thought it might be a good idea to put in perspective some of the things relative to 1978, the year when Iggy left Canada.
- Trudeau was PM
- John Travolta was starring in Grease
- The Bee Gees dominated the record charts
- Music still came on albums
- Disco was in.
- The CBC had just launched the first news satellite
- Wayne Gretzky had not yet played in the NHL
- There were 10 million fewer Canadian's than today
- Jimmy Carter was President of the United States
- I still had hair
During Ignatieff's time away from Canada, we had Trudeau, Clark, Turner, Mulroney, Campbell, Chretien, and Martin as PM. Ignatieff never returned to Canada in all those years. He was "convinced" to return in 2005, when Paul Martin drove the Liberal party into the electoral ditch, only with a promise of being Liberal leader and PM.
So ask yourself, if Paul Martin and the Liberals had won the 2006 election, do you really think Iggy would have stayed in Canada? True Patriot Love indeed.