Saturday, May 9, 2009

Maclean's Blogs- A Non-Paid Liberal Ad???

Funny thing that. I posted two comments on this Macleans blogpost yesterday.
http://www2.macleans.ca/2009/05/08/her-side/comment-page-1/#comment-131827

And I go back to the same blog this morning and both have disappeared. Neither had foul language, derogatory remarks to other posters, etc. What my comments did show was how idiotic it was to try and link Dhalla's nanny problems with the Conservative party, particularly Jason Kenney. The fact is, as I pointed out, Dhalla's problems began a year ago, and only came to light after a meeting between the nannies and two Ontario LIBERAL cabinet ministers. And I think I also mentioned the fact it was the TORONTO STAR that revealed the story after a lengthy investigation, including an interview with Dhalla herself. A poster on a previous thread here says they have also experienced the same thing, with comments disappearing.

Now I should give credit where credit is due. Kady O'Malley did a wonderful job on her reporting of the bizzaro Dhalla/Lawyer presser, which had train wreck written all over it. What I don't understand is why my comments first showed up for a few hours, then said they were waiting for moderation, and then disappeared completely.It's even more surprising when I see a comment like this still there, which the administartor has no problem with:

"Luckily for these nannies they didn’t accuse a Conservative MP of this. If they had they’d already be accused of being anti-semitic terrorist supporters."

Perhaps the administrator of the blog comments might want to give his/her reasoning for this. Because all I can see is partisan censorship. Pretty sad. And this isn't the first time it's happened. I've left replies to comments before, with actual facts and links showing the comments wrong, and poof, they disappear, while the original comment with misinformation remains.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't be sure but I think someone hit the "report abuse" button which then makes your comment disappear for everyone but you. It can take days for them to moderate so I would simply copy and paste the comment again and see if anyone else hits the report abuse button.

paulsstuff said...

That's interesting. The comments were not offensive, but I'll give it a try. I'll report the comment I copied and pasted here and see if it disappears.

I'm not sure if that's the reason though. I've had comments deleted that nobody would take offence with.

Anonymous said...

My gawd you guys bellayache about the media a lot. If a columnist writes an article praising Harper then you all post how brilliant and insightful that columnist is. If the media does something remotely non-flattering to the Tories then you all cry that the media is against you. It's pathetic.

paulsstuff said...

Actually my post is about Maclean's deleting comments that disagree with the conspiracy theory, not the article itself. I think Liberal's call it freedom of speech.

Anonymous said...

I've had this happen - comments totally disappearing and some show up. I've also had a major problem with the Macleans site - slow, error on page showing and it just hangs there and I have to shut down.

Sandi

PS: Macleans is a Conservative magazine by the way.

paulsstuff said...

"PS: Macleans is a Conservative magazine by the way."

I agree the magazine has a more right-wing slant at times. The blogs are entirely different, particularly Aarron Wherry's coverage of question period.

Anonymous said...

"I agree the magazine has a more right-wing slant at times. The blogs are entirely different, particularly Aarron Wherry's coverage of question period."

And Kady O'Malley and Paul Wells and ...

You're right about the blogs.

Sammy said...

Hey Paul..I think your APB for the missing Igster was answered by Taber in todays G&M in-depth "journalism" about Iggy not being a snob! He's closeted at home,with the National Enquirer,scanning for answers to world peace,how to fix the global recession,and oh yeah..the really important answer to who Britney Spears is doing now!!!