Sunday, June 14, 2009

I've Decided To Switch Sides And Work For The Other Guys

I have to admit, this has been a painful decision for me. But after giving it much thought I feel I have no choice. I have been a loyal member and supporter since the early eighties. We were almost wiped out because of a previous leaders decisions. Things looked brighter awhile back with a much talked about merger that was supposed to turn us into a powerhouse and overtake the competition. While there were some excellent results at first that merger never really did give the results it was meant to. Recently there have been controversies with both leadership and the handling of fiscal accountability. We have been getting our ass kicked in getting our message out there. Million dollar ads have done nothing to improve our fortunes. Long range planning has been almost non-existant, resulting in our numbers plunging. After standing back and reflecting, it is now clear that the other guys have a better vision for the future. Better leadership. A better grasp on what Canadians want. A better long term future. It is because of this I must now accept the fact that the other guys are better, and are going to be the winners in the future.

As you all know, I have been a CAW member for over 30 years, and during that time I have been vocal about supporting the North American automakers. I have been a Chrysler employee for almost 25 years. But on Friday, I did something I never thought I would ever do, I accepted a job offer with Mazda, and start Monday. What did you think I was talking about?

19 comments:

Anne in sw ON said...

Congratulations, Paul. You had me guessing for the first few seconds and then it hit me - you're just too good for the CAW! One warning, though. Don't stop writing this blog. Maybe a name switch. like A Former CAW Worker's Voice of Reason. Way to go, Paul!

Sammy said...

Whew..you had me scared there for a minute Paul!
Congrats on the new job..and I just wish that I had the option of not having to pay any Union dues.I have the great misfortune of working for a Gov't agency,and in order to keep F/T employment,I work for 2 separate departments of same Agency..yet they are covered by 2 different unions (CUPE/MGEU). What a waste of money,especially the ndp crap I have to put up with!

paulsstuff said...

Thanks guys. I'm still a CAW member, now retired from Chrysler. I will always have a place in my heart for the union, though I think they have strayed to far into a political organization rather than just a representative of workers.

I have always had a love of cars, and being only 49 years of age felt it was to early to lay down my tools. Looking forward to my new job.

Ardvark said...

Zoom Zoom!

Best of luck on the new job.

Anonymous said...

For a moment there, I thought you were talking about switching sides to the liberals. You savy fox!

maryT said...

Sure glad I had at least 2 cups of coffee before reading this. But, tell me, how could you get a great job offer when there are no jobs out there. Haven't you paid attention to Iggy.
Good luck with Mazda.

paulsstuff said...

Great question MaryT. I've actually had sveral job offers in the past month, but wanted something close to home. Got sick of commuting. There are lots of jobs out there. Just seems some people don't bother looking.

jad said...

Congratulations, Paul, and good luck with the new job. Hope you will still have time for the blog.

Anonymous said...

Yep, good news and reviews ARE out there if people look for them.

Good news also for us a one of our kids just out of university in Oshawa landed a job, guess where?

Oshawa...the place where there are supposed to be no jobs.

Go figure.

Jen said...

My heart fell when I read the your 'headline' which I think, you took great enjoyment of doing.

For a moment I thought you prefered the BLOC, the Coalition. FREE MONEY. Work for a couple of months and a whole year's E.I. at your feet for a whole year.

Good luck PAUL.

paulsstuff said...

Quite a few jobs available in Ajax as well. I really question the doom and gloom of the opposition and some economists.. I think those that want work get work. It's as simple as that.

And with the wonders of the internet you can email resumes without even leaving home.

MrEd said...

well written Paul...as for jobs out there, personally i was shocked last Thursday when a competator of my company tried to headhunt me... this is a great time for ambicious and motivated people to explore there prospects... the cream isnt the only thing that floats and a lot of eyes are now open to eliminating the dead wood within successful companies like Mazda and others...

congrats Mr Zoom, Zoom, Zoom!!!

Joanne (True Blue) said...

Great post, Paul! You had me going there for a minute, I must admit.

In any case, congrats on the new job. That is awesome. They're getting a very smart employee.

Sandy said...

Agree with everyone! Couldn't happen to a greater blogger. But, Paul, you definitely got our attention. LOL

maryT said...

My cousins daughter graduated from a university in SK, 2 wks ago,and had a job waiting for her, in her field of sport medicine or something like that. A friend and her daughter just got their nursing degrees at the end of March,and are both working.
There are jobs out there, close to home and far away.

paulsstuff said...

The college course I just completed in May had 26 students in my graduating class. I think all but 2 have gotten jobs within 5weeks. Most got auto technician apprenticeships, and will be able to take advantage of the PM's apprentice credit upon completion.

Will really help them with the cost of tools.

Anonymous said...

Lots of people looking for jobs, not too many of them want to work.

Brian Gardiner said...

Congratulations and good luck to you Paul.

tao_taier said...

I just assumed it to of been some excerpt or quotation of a letter from a quite "small L" liberal (assuming any still exist) defecting from their party to support the conservatives in any upcoming confidence motions etc.