Sunday, June 7, 2009

I Wonder What Al Gore Would Think.....


I doubt Al Gore would approve. Thank god we avoided that thing called the "greenshift" in the last election or I'd be broke. What you see pictured is my latest creation. Some people do crosswords, some knit, some take pictures. I like to build things that run on fossil fuels and go faster and quicker than they really need to be. Sitting there is 350 cubic inches of pure Chevrolet V8 power. It's had a nice cam added, as well as high rise and big honkin' 4-barrel carb. If I did my figures right, it should be in the area of 330 horsepower with 300+ ft. pds. of torque. It will be going in my 1968 Camaro in the next week or so, replacing that reliable inline 6-cylinder that gets you from point A to point B. Just not fast enough for my taste.

I'm sure the Goreacle would not be impressed, although I should point out that even with the performance improvements, I should get better fuel economy than that limo Gore insists he needs to ride in. Maybe if he laid off the artic char on all those global flights on his private jet he might lose enough weight to fit in something more environmentally friendly, like say a '68 Camaro.

13 comments:

A Honda worker said...

Now that's just horrible! You should do as the Goreacle SAYS not what the Goreacle DOES.

Perhaps a nice integrated hybrid powerplant would fit into that Camaro of yours [sarcasm off].

Anonymous said...

Here's a nice piece ready to drop in if you ever get the hankering to drop a big block into a project vehicle;

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/store/ZZ572-Crate-Engine-620-Deluxe-Street-Engine-19201333-P16C2.aspx

Bruce

paulsstuff said...

Wow, that is beautiful Bruce. I have a 409 Chevy that will be my next project motor. It's one of the original 409 horsepower 409's from the early sixties, with dual quads on it for carbs.

I'm looking for a '62-'94 Impala or Biscayne two-door post car. I want to build a recreation of a sixties drag car. Straight front-axle, fenderwell headers, 4-speed bench seat car. There is one near me that is an ex-drag car. still dickering on the price with the guy.

Anonymous said...

That 409 sounds pretty sweet Paul.

Bruce

Bec said...

Is that room SOUNDPROOF, paulsstuff? Ha, I bet it can get pretty boisterous around there?

paulsstuff said...

Been yelled at a few times Bec:0)

scanoo said...

can't expect a hypocrite like Gore, to appreciate the beauty you are creating - he's too busy been chauffered around in his limo, and private jets, and of course, buying his condo in san francisco, which will be underwater soon, according to his book

disgusting

Sammy said...

Beauty Paul!As the once proud recent owner of a '69 Charger..yup,really..I LOVED the sound of the muscle car.hubby and I are getting on in yrs,and we live very rural,hubby was terrified to drive the 'baby' on gravel roads,so we hauled the car out west and gave it to our son.I miss it,but know it's loved where it now is!
And oh yeah...Al Gore can kiss my...you know!

paulsstuff said...

'69 Charger is one of my favorite cars Sammy. The '68 Camaro I'm doing now is actually going to be my sons when I decide he's mature enough for it. I bought my first car at age 4, it was a '68 Camaro similar to the one I have now. My plan is to clone this car into the one I had in the '70's.

Besides. if I say it's for my son I get less grief about spending so much time on it :0)

paulsstuff said...

oops. Should be age 14. Even I'm not that much of a gear head.

Anonymous said...

Paul, here's a nice mill from Edelbrock if you ever think of doing a 4x4 project.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601082&sid=avzo_qEgziaw

Bruce

Anonymous said...

Ooops, here's the right link;

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/crate_engines/performer_408.shtml

Bruce

paulsstuff said...

Thanks Bruce. actually the first link was great too. I might use that in the future.

The Edelbrock stufff is great. I just picked up a top-end kit for a 350 motor I'm building for someone. Aluminum heads, roller rocker, air gap inatke and carb.

With 10.5 compression ratio it puts out 435 hp.