Sunday, June 7, 2009

It's Funny They Can Make Parliament Work When It Benefits Them..

Lot's of huffing and puffing going on from ALL parties about an election, whose right, who's wrong, who should resign or be fired. One would think Parliamnet has hit an impasse, with the parties unable to agree on anything. Well, now we find out they can agree on something:

"OTTAWA – Members of Parliament have exempted the cash and benefits they receive from political parties and riding associations from restrictions and public disclosure under the House of Commons conflict-of-interest code.

The move was unanimously approved without a vote in the Commons after committee hearings conducted entirely in secret.

The closed-door decision counters a trend toward more accountability in government and should have come under public scrutiny, a democracy advocate says.

It could also erode the independence of backbench MPs, making them more beholden to party bosses instead of voters, adds Democracy Watch chief Duff Conacher.

All four parties approved the change Thursday after a House rules committee and a subcommittee held eight meetings on the topic that were closed to the public. "

To me this reflects badly on ALL PARTIES, and will just further make more Canadian's turn their backs on Parliament and on voting.

Full story here- http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/646870



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Harper joined up with the coalition!

Harper said he would do things differently in Ottawa. He lied.

paulsstuff said...

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight. While I disagree with this, I don't thing it was a confidence motion. Matter of fact there wasn't even a vote.

Anonymous said...

If I have this right, it should mean that any untaxed money earned by citizens in the underground economy is now legal. I think I could live with that.

Rob C

paulsstuff said...

I never thought of that Rob. I change my mind, I like this idea LOL:0)