Sunday, April 3, 2011

Non-Politics Sunday: Are 3D TV's A Worthwhile Investment?

I'm toying with the idea of buying a 3D television. I've heard both good and bad things about them, and not sure whether it's worth the additional cost compared to a LED TV. I've tried the demo 3D tv's in the store and was pretty impressed, but have to admit I'm not a big fan of wearing the glasses.

My biggest concern is the technology. Is 3D something that is really going to take off and be supported by software? You see, I'm the proud owner of a 1990's $1400 laser disc player, which in reality turned into a $1400 cd player roughly a year after I bought it. It still maintains it's spot in my audio rack as a sore fiscal reminder to research before buying, or rather think before impulse buying.

So does anyone presently own a 3d television or looked into buying one? Would appreciate any advice.

p.s. Laser disc player is for sale for $25, including 4 movies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't think its worth it. Since there are issues with prolonged exposure. Particularly with children under the age of 7? or 10? I forget.

A better idea would be for someone to come out with a screen that goes over your tv or monitor's screen that is removable OR rolls up.

Sounds sci-fi but I've seen crazier things get accomplished.

Else, a more practical idea would be for the 3D TV's to toggle between 2D&3D..... which I think they do! thus making my points mute.


I'm a pc-guy...ish. so, I'll likely opt for the goggled headset, head monitor things. SOMEDAY.